Health 9 Syllabus
HEALTH 9 CLASS EXPECTATIONS
1. Listen to directions clearly, the first time. Be respectful to your teachers, peers and school property at all times. Rude or insubordinate behavior will not be tolerated.
2. Be on time for class. If you arrive late, come in the room quietly, sign the booklet and begin to copy the bell ringer and objectives. If you have a pass from a teacher please wait until the end of the period to show me. When you accumulate three unexcused tardiness, you will be assigned detention. Please see agenda for school policy.
3. Remain in your assigned seats until you are dismissed. The teacher, not the bell, dismisses you.
4. No eating or drinking during class. Gum is permitted but it is kept in your mouth. No blowing bubbles or cracking the gum. You will be asked to throw it away.
5. Discussion will be very important in this class, but it must be controlled to be effective. Raise your hand and wait for the teacher to recognize you if you have something to say. No talking while the teacher or another student is speaking.
6. Make up work-If you are Absent, YOU are responsible for coming to me for missed assignments. See your student agenda for a full explanation of this policy.
7. NOTEBOOKS-all students are required to keep an organized notebook and bring it to class everyday. Notebooks will be graded at the teacher’s discretion through checks and quizzes. All notebooks must contain blank paper for taking notes.
8. Cheating-cheating on any test, quiz or other assignments will result in a zero for that work. Parents and administrators will be notified.
9. Materials-the teacher will provide worksheets, puzzles, and outside assignments for class.
Notebook---20 points-as per grading rubric
Homework---per point value
HEALTH UNITS AND ASSIGNMENTS
HW #1 Dietary Track for 3 days
HW #2 Food Labels
HW #3 Six Essential Nutrients Sheet
Quiz #1 Minerals and Vitamins
Quiz #2 Food Label
HW# 1 Identify the Parts of a Long Bone
HW#2 Bones Worksheet
HW#3 Bones Worksheet
Quiz #1 Directional Terms
Quiz #2 Parts of a Long Bone
Quiz # 3 Cranium
Test---Skeletal System with Diagram
Quiz #1 Movements/Types of Muscle Tissue
Quiz #2 Parts of a Muscle
Quiz #3 Muscles of the Upper Body
Quiz #4 Muscle of the Lower Body
Quiz #5 Diagram
HW#1 First Experience with Death
HW#2 Grief Article
HW#3 Obituary Outline
Quiz #1 Terms related to Death
Quiz #2 Consumer Aspects of Death and Dying
Quiz #3 Kubler-Ross Stages of Death
Project---Write your own Obituary
HW#1 AIDS Media Critique
HW#2 My Turn Workbook
HW#3 My Turn Workbook
HW#4 Science of HIV Outline-based on Movie
Quiz #1 Role of the Immune System
Quiz #2 Illness Progression Chart
Test on HIV/AIDS
Project STD Pamphlet
STANDARD FIRST AID AND CPR-AMERICAN RED CROSS
HW#1 Accident Scenario
HW#2 Head to Toe Exam
Quiz #1 Terms/ Rescue Breathing
Quiz #2 Choking Unconscious/CPR
Quiz #3 Red Cross Test
Quiz #4 First Aid Techniques
Project---First Aid with typed paper, poster, and oral presentation