Skeletal System Unit
SKELETAL SYSTEM OBJECTIVES
After completing this unit, the students will have a working knowledge of the functions of the skeletal system and will have mastered the objectives listed below.
1. Identify the subdivisions of the skeleton and axial or appendicular.
2. List at least three functions of the skeletal system.
3. Name the four main types of bones.
4. Identify the major anatomical areas of a long bone.
5. On the skull or diagram, identify and name the bones of the skull.
6. Name the parts of a typical vertebraand explain in general how the cervical, thoracic, lumbar vertebrae differ from one another.
7. Identify on a skeleton or diagram the bones of the shoulder and pelvic girdles and their attached limbs.
8. Describe important differences between a male and femalepelvis.
9. Identify on a skeleton or diagram the bones of the upper and lower limbs.
STUDENT OUTLINE ON THE SKELETAL SYSTEM
SKELETL SYSTEM FUNCTION
DIVISIONS OF THE SKELETON
1. Axial skeleton
2. Appendicular skeleton
TYPES OF BONES
TERM DEFINITION EXAMPLE
ANTERIOR BODY LANDMARKS
POSTERIOR BODY LANDMARKS
STRUCTURE OF A LONG BONE
1. Compact tissue
2. Spongy tissue
6. Articular Cartilage
7. Epiphyseal line
8. Medullary cavity
10. Nutrient artery
AMAZING FACTS ABOUT THE BODY
1. What are the three major jobs of the skeletal system?
2. What do you call the part f the skeleton which protects the brain? How many bones are in a baby’s head?
3. The parts of the skeleton which protects the heart and lungs are called the _____________________.
4. What do you call the bendable places where some bones join together?
5. What mineral do we need for healthy bones and what food has lots of this mineral in it?
6. What do you call the soft stuff in the middle of the bones?
7. What is the longest bone in the body?
8. Adults have how many bones in the body? How many bones do babies have?
1. The human hand has ___________ bones: your face has _______________.
2. Your ____________ bone is the longest in your body. It is about _____________ of your height.
3. Humans and ____________________ have the same number of bones in their neck.
4. You have over _________________ moveable and semi-moveable joints in your body.