Fairfield Area School District Counseling Program
High School Counselor
Kristina Mathews - Grades 9-12 - firstname.lastname@example.org
High School Counseling Secretary
Brenda L. Miller - 717-642-2034 - email@example.com
Middle School Counselor
Lisa Mertz - Grades 5-8 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Elementary School Counselor
Danielle Mikesell-Redding, PhD, NCC, LPC - Grades K-4 - email@example.com
Department Mission Statement
The mission of the Fairfield Area School District school counseling program is to provide a comprehensive, developmental counseling program addressing the academic, career, and personal/social development of all students. We, as school counselors, are professional school advocates who provide support to maximize student potential and academic achievement. In partnership with our educational team, which includes other educators, parents or guardians, students, and the community, we will facilitate a support system to ensure all students in the Fairfield Area School District have access to and are prepared with the knowledge and skills to contribute to their highest potential as productive members of society. We will encourage students to embrace learning as a life-long process.
We, the counselors of Fairfield Area School District, believe:
- All students have dignity and worth
- All students have the right to participate in the school counseling program.
- All students' ethnic, cultural, racial, sexual differences and special needs are considered in planning and implementing the school counseling program.
- All students K-12 shall have access to a full-time, state-certified, master's degree-level school counselor to deliver the counseling program.
And that the Fairfield comprehensive school counseling program should:
- Be based on specified goals and developmental student competencies for all students K-12
- Be planned and coordinated by school counseling teams in coordination with other schools, parents or guardians, and community representatives.
- Utilize the many combined resources of the community to deliver programs
- Use data to drive program development and evaluation
- Be evaluated by a counseling supervisor on specified goals and agreed-upon student competencies
- Actively involve counseling team members to monitor students' results
And that all counselors in the Fairfield Area School District:
- Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association
- Participating in professional development activities is essential to maintaining a quality school counseling program.
The goal of the counseling program is to support district belief statements. Additionally, below is a list of statements to delineate our position as school counselors:
- Reaches every student K-12;
- Is comprehensive in scope:
- Is preventative in design;
- Is developmental in nature;
- Is an integral part of a total educational team for student success;
- Is implemented by a credentialed school counselor;
- Has a delivery system that includes school guidance curriculum, individual planning, responsive services, and system support;
- Measures both process and outcome results, monitors student progress, and analyzes critical data elements, to drive program decisions;
- Seeks improvement each year based on data;
- Services are conducted in an honest and caring fashion while maintaining the confidentiality and integrity of all individuals;
- success with an educational team.